Targets or goals which are easily achievable and which do not require a lot of effort
WWDC is around the corner and while Apple uses this time to deliver big features and updates, they often change some smaller details too — changes that improve the user experience considerably.
They remove some small annoyances or give users long requested small features.
Here’s my current grocery list of low-hanging fruits on iOS:
- Save Safari downloads to iCloud Drive.
- iBooks iCloud Drive sync (useful for PDFs)
- Hide or delete default apps if a replacement is available.
- iCloud Drive Document Picker as an app on iOS.
- Editable Control Center buttons.
- Set a default Document Picker destination (e.g. Transmit instead of iCloud).
- Hide default Action Extensions (I never print).
- Health on the iPad.
- The MarkUp OS X extension on iOS.
- Sync notifications across the entire platform similar to iPhone and Apple Watch sync.
- File Picker in Mail similar to the Photo Picker so attach files to new mails (shows a Document Picker).
- Sharing sheet in Mail.
- Cross platform App Store bundles containing both iOS and OS X versions of an app.
- Landscape home and lock screen on all devices and sizes.
- Set FaceTime Audio as a default method of calling.
- Set a different automatic Do Not Disturb time in the weekend.
Slightly less low-hanging fruit
- Show your Macs home folder as a Document Picker location on your iOS device using the already existing Back to my Mac technology.
- Replace default mail, browser and calendar apps with custom ones if they offer specific and required functionality.
- Siri via text commands instead of voice commands
- Buy an OS X app on your iPad or an iPad app on your iPhone which then downloads on the other device.
- Higher free iCloud tier balanced against the size of your devices. (5GB-16GB, 20GB-64GB, 40GB-128GB)
- Handoff for AirPlay to the AppleTV
- Ad Hoc syncing across devices within reach without Internet access (think: syncing iCloud documents between iPhone and iPad on a plane)
Out of reach
- Force apps to be retina, iPhone 6 plus compatible and universal across iOS devices.
- Selective iCloud backup restore.
- iCloud Backup for OS X.
- Cache iCloud Backups locally via OS X Caching Server. (Both making one and restoring).